Friday, May 6, 2011

Cassettes, Clothing, and Questions

While out on a ride Tuesday, I came across a calf drinking from its mother's (I assume it was its mother and not some random cow's) udder. My response, which I said aloud, to this perfectly normal happening was, "That's my milk!" Why would I say that? No idea, but questioning such a ridiculous statement intrigued me and got me questioning just about everything I encountered over the last few days.

First, why did 80s era cycling movies show riders shifting into the small chain ring or large cog when they wanted to ride faster? I submit to the court Exhibit A from the opening scene of Quicksilver (this version was dubbed over for some reason, but pay attention around 54/55 seconds):



Exhibit B, Dave the Cutter from Breaking Away (ok, to be honest that movie came out in 1979, not technically the 80s), shifts into the small chain ring when drafting behind a semi-truck in order to increase his speed.

Another mystery I've wrestled with is why the need for the sprinter version of Di2?

I guess if you can do and it's not illegal than go for it. The article says, "it's aimed at sprinters, who need to keep a firm grip on the bar and don't want to move to the hoods to change gear." I think it's a good idea, but the article makes is seem like sprinters didn't have the option of shifting in the drops with mechanical groups.

Don't get me wrong, Di2 is a pretty sweet invention, but I don't think it compares with this:

It's pretty awesome, no question about it.

Despite the possibility that the above questions will never be answered, the most important question no one seems to be asking most certainly will be answered in a few short months. Of course that question is, will Garmin Cervelo wear summer white kit like the Cervelo Test Team did last year?

With all the questions arising from the death of Osama bin Laden, the UCI's defamation suit against Floyd, and the possible outcome of CAS' AC decision, Kitgate© is clearly the most pressing issue that needs to be addressed. Inquiring minds want to know.

I haven't copyrighted the use of Kitgate, but if I cared more I would - no questioning that.

No comments:

Post a Comment