Monday, November 15, 2010

Can't See the Forest for the Trees, or When Complacency Becomes Second Nature

I was unable to post last Friday due to my visit to Washburn University School of Law's open house. I noticed an older crowd of potential applicants versus those I saw at KU and Vanderbilt, which in some ways is a positive. The open house was informative and well run. I was very interested to hear that the LL.M. (masters of law) program Washburn has in conjunction with the University of Maastricht has never had all four student slots filled. Of course being away from Penny for a year isn't all that appealing. We'll see where the future will lead us and then I'll make my decision at that time.

Sometimes when you are so enmeshed in a culture, you fail to see the importance and significance of that culture. You begin to take things for granted, no matter how interesting, important, or exciting that culture may be. I'm sure Ben Roethlisberger takes for granted that he'll never be convicted of sexual assault, or that Contador takes for granted that his threats to retire mean something to anyone other than those that earn money off him. This was the case for me over the weekend, save for the sexual assault or money being made off me. I know it's belated, but I want to thank all the veterans of this country for the sacrifices you have made.

With this in mind, I'll share some pictures I took of the Veteran's Day Parade held last Thursday here in Leavenworth.

The parade commenced with a grand ceremony overseen by the parade's grand marshal:

The guy on the Segway, not the dog.Of course, being in Kansas, the parade featured its fair share of motorized bicycles:

Check the boot knife!

Where is her helmet!?There were clowns:

I want you, to get into my windowless van!Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And a pony-riding dog:

Both animals seems very nonplussed, leading me to be very nonplussed.There you have it. I hope that you enjoyed your weekend and had the opportunity to thank a veteran for their service.

Our regular programming will return Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment