Friday, November 19, 2010

The Future Looks Scary

As I was surfing through webpages last night, I made my way over to the Army's homepage to read about SSG Giunta - the most recent Congressional Medal of Honor recipient:

Pretty amazing stuff.If you haven't heard about what SSG Giunta did the night he earned the MOH, you owe it to yourself to check it out. As his company commander said, it was like the stories you hear about Audie Murphy during WWII. While I was scanning the homepage, my eye was caught by this:

Classic.The following is a conversation I can see occurring at Fort Campbell in the near future:

Front Desk Attendant: "Can I help you?"

Private Young: "I'm here to check in for my appointment."

FDA: "Ok, last four please." (The Army uses the last four of your social security number to identify your medical files. This was done even before they went all digtal.)

Young: "1234."

FDA: "Ok, Private...Young. Hmmm, I thought you would have looked more like this."

It doesn't affect the service Private Young will receive (that will always be underwhelming, no matter how much digtalization occurs), but it still isn't correct.

One up, one down. I guess that makes everything all even.

On to stories where things do not look to be all even. Italy is getting involved in the ongoing investigation concerning alleged doping on the USPS Team. We'll see when the paperwork is wrapped up what this large-scale revels. This, combined with WADA announcing that they can find no evidence to support AC's claim that his steak was tainted, makes this off-season an interesting one. Granted, this is the first time I have taken any interest in what goes on during the cycling off-season, but an investigation into doping by the current TdF champion and a multi-government backed investigation into doping charges against the greatest TdF rider ever is, in my humble opinion, pretty significant.

Ok, I'm off. Enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment